Auflistung Environmental Informatics 2008 nach Erscheinungsdatum
1 - 10 von 84
Treffer pro Seite
- KonferenzbeitragInteroperable Routing Services in the Context of Evacuation Schemes due to Urban Flooding(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Albert, Holger; Belger, Gernot; de Camargo, Vinicius; Haase, MIchael; Lippert, Kaj; Neis, Pascal; Pasche, Erik; Zipf, AlecanderClimate change scenarios predict an increasing frequency of extreme flood events in coastal areas. Many big cities in North-Western Europe are located within the reach of these floods. Flood protection schemes have been built and enhanced everywhere. But a residual risk exists that these flood protection schemes will fail and the areas behind these structures will be flooded severely. Within the last decades many of these cities expanded significantly into former floodplain areas as well. Building complexes within harbor areas which served as store- or warehouses in former times are now being transferred to high end business and living facilities. These structures have always been subject to the thread of flooding due to the proximity to open waters. Against this background, means for disaster management in the context of extreme flood events are being paid high attention on all administrative levels. The main objectives of these activities among others are to save people’s and other creature’s lives as well as to avoid en- vironmental hazards, e.g. due to spilling of hazardous chemicals, and to avoid assets to be destroyed. In order to design evacuation schemes for different flooding scenarios evacuation paths need to be determined for every building in the potentially flooded areas. The times for flood mitigation as well as travel and “get ready to go” times among other details need to be taken into account in this context. Routing Services provide means for determining travel routes and travel times on the basis of a predefined street network. Dynamically expanding inundated areas need to be excluded from this street network for route searches. The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) has specified Routing Services as part of Open Location Services which have been implemented by the Cartography Research Group at the University of Bonn. This paper introduces into disaster management due to urban flooding as well as to OGC’s OpenGIS Location Services with special emphasis on Routing Services. An example for utilizing Routing Services in order to identify critical evacuation paths (Bottleneck Analysis) is presented. The paper documents the results of a close collaboration in the research projects “RIMAX” and “OK-GIS” which are both funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
- KonferenzbeitragEnvironmental Markup Language (EML): A Material and Energy Balancing XML Schema Definition(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Arndt, Hans-Knud; Graubitz, Henner; Dammert, AndreasFor a systematic evaluation of an organizations’ environmental performance methods for data pooling are needed so that data about services, or the production of goods can be collected and the evaluation of the associated environment is possible. This information gain is the base for improvements of the environmental performance and supports the top management in its strategic planning. One useful method can be seen in a material and energy balancing which enables organizations to operationalize environmental protection. Due to the often heterogeneous information and communication technologies (ICT) systems in organizations a general practical exchange format for the representation and processing of material and energy information is required. Therefore this publication describes the development of an XML schema definition for material and energy balancing. The development of this XML schema definition is based on the DIN EN ISO 14040:2006 standard according to Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and includes the linkage between ecologic and economic information.
- KonferenzbeitragUsing the Central Pressure Method to Forecast Damage Level of Maritime Structures Caused by Typhoon 9918(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Hashimura, R.In 1999, Typhoon 9918 struck Kyushu Island, which is located in Western Japan. During the strongest stage of the typhoon, the central pressure was 930 hPa and the maximum wind speed was 45 m/s near the center of the typhoon. The maximum storm tide was over 2 m along the coast of Kumamoto Prefecture on Kyushu Island. Due to the storm surge and wind waves, the typhoon caused enormous damage to maritime structures.In this paper, the Central Pressure Method is used to estimate the number of damage cases of damaged maritime structures along the coast caused by Typhoon 9918. Based on 43 previous typhoons, the Central Pressure Method creates an index that determines the vulnerability of the coast to a typhoon with a specified path. This index is estimated using the path of Typhoon 9918 as determined from the location and the direction of the typhoon at a latitude of 30° N. The vulnerability index of maritime structures is calculated based on the path of the typhoon and coastline. The number of damage cases is estimated using the vulnerability index and the central pressure of the typhoon at a latitude of 30° N. Based on the results, the Central Pressure Method can be used to estimate the damage level of maritime structures that will occur along the coast before a typhoon strikes.
- KonferenzbeitragINSPIRE-ing GEMET – Enhancing Metadata Creation and Discovery(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Ostländer, Nicole; Lutz, Michael
- KonferenzbeitragEinbindung von Kommunen in das Umweltportal Deutschland am Beispiel des Kommunalen PortalU® Niedersachsens(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Kruse, Fred; Klenke, Martin; Uhrich, Stefanie; Giffei, Christiane; Peters, SybilleDas Umweltportal Deutschland PortalU® (www.portalu.de) ist bisher ein Portal für Umweltinformationen von Bund und Ländern. Mittelfristig soll es um kommunale Umweltinformationen erweitert werden. Eine direkte Einbindung der Informationsangebote der Kommunen sprengt den Rahmen der derzeitigen organisatorischen Struktur des Portals. Es werden zwei Ansätze dargestellt, wie die organisatorische Struktur erweitert werden kann, um eine Einbindung kommunaler Umweltinformationen zu gewährleisten.
- KonferenzbeitragKonzept für eine neue Generation von Landes-Umweltportalen(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Weidemann, Rainer; Geiger, Werner; Schlachter, Thorsten; Zilly, Gerd; Ebel, Renate; Zetzmann, KlausThe federal states of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Saxony-Anhalt, and Thuringia are jointly developing a new generation of environmental portals for these states. Typical problems associated with the implementation of such environmental portals will be analyzed and solutions pointed out. The paper will deal with the indexing of information that is not directly accessible by web crawlers, the integration of structured data from databases and especially of UDK (Environmental Data Catalogue) meta data, the interconnection with PortalU, the definition of technically or organizationally constrained search spaces, and problems of interfaces, in particular embedding of a commercial search engine in a system. First experience gained from the use of the Google Search Appliance as a component of the environmental portals will be reported.
- KonferenzbeitragOptimization of Energy Supply Networks using Ant Colony Optimization(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Warner, Lars; Vogel, UteThe planning of an energy supply network has to take into account the consumers’ demand and location as well as the production and location of potential plants and the necessary network structure to connect both. Usually this planning process is done in two steps, choosing the plants first, and constructing the optimal network secondly. With the usage of regenerative energies, the choice of the location of these plants which depend heavily on regional environmental conditions and hence the resulting network becomes increasingly important. This paper introduces an approach for combining the choice of plants and the choice of a network structure in the same process using the metaheuristic Ant Colony Optimization. The results of the implemented algorithm are illustrated in a test scenario.
- KonferenzbeitragConceptual Aspects for a Valuation- and Optimization- System for Transportation Processes with Special Regard on Air-bound Traffic(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Wittmann, Jochen; Möller, Dietmar P.F.; Gollnick, VolkerBased on the trend of growing role for airbound traffic on the one hand and the growing need for efficient and economic transportation, this paper gives an intermodal approach to describe the whole transportation task ” from door to door“. To do this, the concept of the “transport chain” is introduced and formalized. On the base of this overallmodel of the system, the optimization objectives are formulated with special respect on the local views of the different stakeholders that offer the different services along the transport chain. Additionally, the transport chain concept is used to couple existing models of the transportation domain by modularization into independent transportation steps and an interface between these steps that abstracts from the steps’ implementation by focusing on guarantees for the service offered, only.
- KonferenzbeitragMaterial Flow Analysis with Software STAN(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Cencic, Oliver; Rechberger, HelmutSTAN (short for subSTance flow ANalysis) is a free software that supports performing material flow analysis (MFA) according to the Austrian standard ÖNORM S 2096 (Material flow analysis Application in waste management) under consideration of data uncertainties. The main idea behind STAN is the combination of all necessary features of a MFA in one software product: graphical modelling, data management, calculations and graphical presentation of the results. The benefits of the application of STAN are demonstrated on the example of a fictitious waste management company.
- KonferenzbeitragMonitoring the Thermal Activity of Volcano(Environmental Informatics and Industrial Ecology, 2008) Zaksek, Klemen; Hort, Matthias