- ZeitschriftenartikelIntegrationstrends bei Business-Intelligence-Systemen(Wirtschaftsinformatik: Vol. 46, No. 2, 2004) Chamoni, Peter; Gluchowski, Peter”Business intelligence” (BI) is a term for information systems which support decision makers in providing business analysis on the basis of internal and external data. Until now there exist only few valid results of research about the actual level of usage and maturity of implemented BI-systems. A maturity model with five levels of evolutionary development can be used as a framework for an empirical survey. Aspects like business content, technology and organisational impact are recorded and evaluated. First conclusions about the gap between theoretical concepts and the state of enterprise-wide implementations of BI systems are deduced. These statistical findings lead to a BI benchmarking in specific industrial sectors and general strategic recommendations.
- ZeitschriftenartikelDie E-Learning-Plattform W3L(Wirtschaftsinformatik: Vol. 46, No. 2, 2004) Balzert, Helmut; Balzert, Heide; Zwintzscher, OlafThe acceptance of e-learning depends substantially on three factors: effective learning for the learners, effective providing of authors in producing learning contents and their economical application in enterprises and organizations. Optimal learning requires a representation and a dressing of teaching subjects, which consider the possibilities and boundary conditions of e-learning. In order to reduce arduous reading on the screen, e-learning-contents have to be available as scripts or books for the learners. The e-learning-platform W3L (Web Life Long Learning) realizes these requirements and makes “Blended Learning plus printr” possible. The W3L-Plattform can be acquired under license or used as ASP users.
- ZeitschriftenartikelFinancial-Chain-Management(Wirtschaftsinformatik: Vol. 46, No. 2, 2004) Pfaff, Donovan; Skiera, Bernd; Weitzel, TimFinancial processes are often treated as a typical secondary process. As a result, substantial optimization potential remains unexploited. Based on an empirical study, in this paper a generic financial chain is developed and used to identify areas for improvement. Especially the invoicing subprocess offers great potential for integration. 28% of all invoices are incorrect, mostly (83%) due to faulty prices. Thus, an internal integration of the systems used for pricing and invoicing customers can substantially cut down the associated costs of claim management. But integrating the invoicing systems with external partners is also important. German SMEs send 86% of all invoices to customers by mail. In Fortune 1000 enterprises the figure is 67%. Here, overall average costs per invoice are a 15,50 in contrast to a 2,00 for electronic invoices.
- ZeitschriftenartikelZur Ausdrucksstärke der Stammdaten des Advanced Planning and Scheduling(Wirtschaftsinformatik: Vol. 46, No. 2, 2004) Patig, SusanneExpressiveness is applied to evaluate languages or descriptions. By expressiveness we mean what can be said within the limitations of some language. Assessing expressiveness is always based on a reference, namely the set of all things sayable, the things said in another language or the things that must be said to meet a certain purpose. So far, only nominal or ordinal measures of expressiveness have been proposed.In the approach presented here, a certain purpose serves as reference to evaluate expressiveness by a cardinal measure. The approach is derived from measuring similarity between binary vectors and employs results concerning the formal semantics of logical descriptions. By applying this approach to measure the expressiveness of the master data used by Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) systems on the one hand and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems on the other hand it can be shown that in most cases the master data of APS systems do not possess higher expressiveness than the master data of ERP systems.
- ZeitschriftenartikelInteraktive Lernobjekte zur Logistik(Wirtschaftsinformatik: Vol. 46, No. 2, 2004) Knolmayer, Gerhard; Montandon, Corinne; Schmidt, RomanThis paper provides an overview on freely accessible, interactive learning objects in the area of logistics. The authors focus on complex topics and concepts that become more comprehensible by working with multi-media based interactive learning objects.
- ZeitschriftenartikelHörsaalmanagement(Wirtschaftsinformatik: Vol. 46, No. 2, 2004) Haase, Knut; Scheel, Hilmar; Sebastian, DennisAn innovative system for efficient lecture-room scheduling is introduced. The core of the system is a new mathematical model. For the solution a column generation approach is presented. A numerical investigation shows that the approach has a very high solution quality. All considered instances of the problem are solved almost optimally within reasonable time. For the application an internet-based system has been developed. All processes of information, communication, and scheduling are implemented in the system.